Well. It's that time of year.. and a little beyond actually. Most Gardening work for opening new ground and planting typically needs to happen before May 1, however, seeing as that is also the deadline for taxes, it gets pushed off and is a major reason most gardens fail.
Knowing this, we can compensate! By adding slow release fertilizers, consistent irrigation and planting vegetables/fruits or flowers in sequence.
The best planting times for the following items is how we aim to get the most out of the growing season.
- Parsley - Germinate Indoors Jun-until last wk of Jul, Grow/Harvest until Sept, then Transplant to Indoors
- Mint - plant lat week of Apr - Grow/harvest May
- Garlic - best to plant over winter harvest spring/summer, this is why hey are typically seen grown in clay pots near the stove.
- Green onion - Plant: Apr/May Harvest: July
- Tomatoes - Plant from seed : Feb - Apr , harvest until Sept
- Lemons - plant by mid Feb, Harvest Mid Aug - end of Sept., Container grown, again, best indoors.
- Red onion - Plant: Apr/May Harvest: July
- Yellow potato - Any. harvest in 100 - 120 day from planting
- Corn - Plant: Jun, harvest Aug/Sept
- Squash - plant May, harvest jun
- Zucchini - plant May, harvest jun (subspecies of squash)
- Mini cucumbers - Plant: mid May, harvest: Jun
Photos of the start of our 2017 garden, more to be posted.